Monday 7 April 2014

Traveling with Babies

Over the last two years, we have taken numerous trips with the children. We have flown to Vancouver, Florida and the Dominican Republic.

Our January 2013 trip to Naples, Florida with the children was the first major travel adventure with Pritam and Darshan. This trip took place in the final days of my four-month parental leave, and gave us the opportunity to escape the frigid Saskatchewan winter for a month, courtesy of my generous in-laws, who hosted us in their Florida condo.

I think it is safe to say that I was stressed out when thinking about the logistics of a 12 hour travel day, with 3 flights (2 transfers - one in Denver, one in Chicago).  Scheduling meals, drinks, entertainment, and naps for twin 1 year old babies was a scary thought.

It's a good thing that my amazing wife, Saskatchemom had spent a tremendous amount of time and effort in organizing all of these details.

Before and during the flights, all I could think about was how things might go horribly wrong....what if the kids don't nap all day and cry through the whole flight?...what if we can't get access to water to make formula?...what if I leave one child at home and he/she is forced to defend the house from burglars? (Don't laugh. It has happened before.)

I learned something about parenting during that vacation. Your imagination is your worst enemy. Things never go as badly as you imagine them going.

And also...it's worth going through a little bit of hardship to get to the final destination.


No comments:

Post a Comment